Holidays are about sharing this special time with the one you love, but what about the singles of the world? If you are single you are not doomed to have a lonely holiday. The holidays are about love, even self-love. Here are a few tips for having a self-loving holiday season:
- Spend time with people you enjoy being around. Yes, you may feel obligated to spend time with a few family members you would rather not see, but make an extra effort to be around people you actually enjoy being around. Schedule a brunch or make a date to go shopping with your best friend. Being around people that appreciate you and make you feel good will only help boost your holiday spirit. After all, friends are the family you choose.
- Treat yourself. Maybe you wouldn’t normally splurge on getting a pedicure or making yourself a decadent dinner, but you should always make an exception for yourself. Taking the time to relax or lose yourself in doing something you enjoy helps relieve holiday stress, and ultimately results in a happier you.
- Enjoy the quiet. Most people this time of year are rushing around trying to get things done or heading to 3 or 4 different households for the holidays – something you likely don’t have to partake in. Instead, grab a happy holiday movie or one of your favorites, pop some popcorn and snuggle up by the fire. Enjoy the peace and quiet!
- Don’t get drunk at the office party. ‘Tis the season for holiday parties. Don’t make the mistake of indulging too much and making a bad decision that you will surely regret in the morning. The office party is still a professional setting. Remind yourself that you are only there to socialize with co-workers. Have a drink if you wish, but make sure you don’t go overboard. You don’t want to end up being the topic of water cooler conversations.
- Don’t have sex just because you’re lonely. Sex is intimate requiring you to give yourself to someone else on a deeper level. When you are seeking connectedness through intimacy it should be with someone you care deeply about and that you trust because you are allowing yourself to be vulnerable. Having sex under the circumstance of being lonely opens yourself up to being hurt. Instead, try connecting with someone through mutual interests and hobbies.
- Don't seek out ex-lovers, ex-spouses, or old hookup partners during the holiday season. Much like not having sex just because you’re lonely, don’t go seeking out ex’s and old booty calls. These people are ex’s for a reason! Nothing good can come from rekindling old, toxic relationships.
Learn more about what self-love means.